© 2021 Our Lady Star of the Sea, East Preston
Our Lady Star of the Sea
The present Catholic Church of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, in Vermont Drive, was opened and consecrated in 1987, although there has been a temporary Church on the same site since 1957. The new Church enabled the existing building to become the ‘Parish Centre’. This centre is used for various Parish and local community activities. Prior to 1957, Sunday Masses in East Preston had been celebrated in the Conservative Hall. In the mid 1990’s the Catholic Church of St Wilfrid’s in Angmering closed and the building was incorporated into the St Wilfrid’s Catholic Primary School. As a result the Church in East Preston now serves the Catholic population of East Preston with Angmering. The very united congregation is noted for the welcome extended to visitors and new residents alike, with a growing population of Parishioners willing to take on extra supporting roles in the Parish Family. In addition to regular weekend and weekday Masses and other services, there are the occasional services for all Christians. Many Parishioners take an active part in village organisations. The Parish raises over £10,000 each year for charity, focussing its efforts on famine relief and overseas development and, locally, the homeless and the Chestnut Tree Children’s Hospice.
© 2021 Our Lady Star of the Sea, East Preston
Our Lady Star of the Sea
The present Catholic Church of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, in Vermont Drive, was opened and consecrated in 1987, although there has been a temporary Church on the same site since 1957. The new Church enabled the existing building to become the ‘Parish Centre’. This centre is used for various Parish and local community activities. Prior to 1957, Sunday Masses in East Preston had been celebrated in the Conservative Hall. In the mid 1990’s the Catholic Church of St Wilfrid’s in Angmering closed and the building was incorporated into the St Wilfrid’s Catholic Primary School. As a result the Church in East Preston now serves the Catholic population of East Preston with Angmering. The very united congregation is noted for the welcome extended to visitors and new residents alike, with a growing population of Parishioners willing to take on extra supporting roles in the Parish Family. In addition to regular weekend and weekday Masses and other services, there are the occasional services for all Christians. Many Parishioners take an active part in village organisations. The Parish raises over £10,000 each year for charity, focussing its efforts on famine relief and overseas development and, locally, the homeless and the Chestnut Tree Children’s Hospice.